How to Get Rid of Mold Mites

How to Get Rid of Mold MitesWhen you hear the word “mites”, most of us probably think of dust mites. But if you have a mold issue, then you may also have mold mites, which, as the name implies, feed on mold. As mold requires darkness, moisture, and organic material to thrive, mold mites require mold growth to feed on to survive. Even a very small amount of mold can produce enough food for thousands of mold mites.

Scientists first discovered mold mites, also known as tyroglyphid mites, back in 1781 in Austria. They encompass a large group of similar species that are hard to tell apart which includes cheese mites, flour mites, and grain mites. They are tiny, wingless, insects that are so small, they’re nearly invisible to the human eye.

Mold mites don’t cause structural damage, and they’re harmless to people and pets, furniture, structures, clothing, etc. However, these soft-bodied pests do have long “hairs” which fall out, become airborne, and can cause an allergic reaction in some people. That’s why some may believe they’ve gotten mold spore bites (mold spores don’t bite) when they’ve actually been in contact with a mold mite. In some cases, what may feel like a bite or sting is essentially a skin irritation linked to an allergic reaction to mold. But if you have dust mites in your bed, you might also experience itching and other symptoms linked to an allergic reaction.

How to Inspect for Mold Mites

One way to tell if mold and mold mites are in your home is if you notice a brownish “mite dust” visible in odd places, like on shelves or food. Another possible indication of inside mold growth is if you feel better when you’re outside your home – you breathe easier, coughing and wheezing is reduced, and you have more energy. Also, mold frequently has a characteristic smell which makes it easy to identify, but visually detecting mold in damp, dark places is the easiest way to find mold problems. Usually, where there’s mold, there are mold mites.

How to Get Rid of Mold Mites

Getting rid of mold mites requires getting rid of their food source. If they have nothing to feed on, they can’t survive and will no longer be a problem. Although that sounds easy, control of mold mites may be difficult and is likely to require persistence and even assistance. Here are some tips:

  • Regularly clean surfaces in the home, including shelves and corners
  • Use dehumidifiers to remove the extra moisture that mold needs to thrive
  • Air out your home periodically by opening doors and windows 

If you don’t notice any improvement, if the problem is more widespread than expected, or if your allergies become more severe, call in a professional mold remediation service to treat your home. Cyclone Kleen Up offers mold removal and mold remediation services in Colorado. We are licensed by the State of Colorado as a General Contractor, and we can provide a FREE mold inspection, property loss evaluation, and detailed estimation for our mold clean up services.