Asbestos is a highly dangerous micro-fibrous material found in many Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and central Colorado homes and businesses. It was commonly used in building construction from the 1950s to the 1990s due to its resistance to heat, fire, chemicals, and electricity. Safe handling of these materials is important to prevent inhalation, which could potentially cause multiple complications and diseases.
Although its use is not completely prohibited, asbestos is federally regulated by OSHA, the EPA, and other organizations. It’s a naturally occurring product that can be found in about two-thirds of all rocks. And while it’s been prohibited from use in products like paper goods, artificial fireplace embers, and wall patching compounds, it’s still commonly found in the duct and pipe insulation, vermiculite attic insulation, ceiling, and wall acoustical tiles, cement asbestos siding, floor tiles, floor tile adhesives, and automobile clutches and brakes.
Not all asbestos-based products are labeled as such and sometimes it’s hard to recognize its presence positively without testing a material first. If you believe that you may have an asbestos issue in your Central Colorado home or business, call the professionals at Cyclone Kleenup immediately! Meanwhile, here are answers to questions you may have about asbestos:
A: Not necessarily. If the asbestos-containing materials are undamaged, then leave them alone. They’re only dangerous if you disturb them (e.g., by cutting, sanding, or damaging them) or if they’ve been exposed by a natural disaster. Removal is a complex process, and if not done properly, may increase your and your family’s exposure to asbestos fibers. And instead of being removed, some damaged asbestos materials may be "enclosed" or "encapsulated" to prevent building occupants from being exposed to any fibers.
A: Asbestos exposure will increase your risk of developing lung disease, especially if you smoke. Disease symptoms may take many years to develop. Three of the major health effects associated with asbestos exposure are lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis (a serious, progressive, long-term, non-cancer disease of the lungs).
A: Yes, but you may have to be temporarily relocated to another part of your home or business during the process. The area of the building where asbestos is being removed will need to be sealed off to prevent contamination of the rest of the structure.
A: This is done by using polyethylene film, duct tape, and negative air pressure machines fitted with HEPA filters. Sealing the area in this way won’t allow airborne asbestos fibers to travel to other parts of the home or building. The negative air pressure machine pulls fresh air into the asbestos area but doesn’t let any asbestos fibers out into the surrounding environment.
A: No! Only a special vacuum cleaner designed for asbestos containment (class H) can be safely used when cleaning up during and after asbestos removal. Ordinary vacuum cleaners, even those fitted with a HEPA filter, are not safe. An ordinary vacuum will eject the asbestos fibers into the room’s air.
For more information on asbestos, go to the Environmental Protection Agency site and learn how to protect yourself, your family, and your employees.
If you suspect you have an asbestos issue in your Pueblo or Colorado Springs home or business, contact the professional as Cyclone Kleen Up immediately. Our expertly trained technicians will first perform tests to determine where it’s located. Then we’ll seal off the area and safely dispose of the asbestos so that you can once again breathe easy.